Beijing Second Most Expensive Location In Asia For Expatriate Staff
- Written by iexpatriate.com
This is among the findings of the latest Cost of Living survey by ECA International. While Tokyo still tops the list of the most expensive locations in Asia for expatriates, globally it has fallen to 10th place on the back of a weaker Yen – a significant drop from last year, when it was the most expensive city in the world for expatriate staff. Companies that need to assign staff to Japan can now do so for considerably less than in recent years, despite the country's long period of deflation being reversed earlier this year.
Globally, Beijing is the 15th most expensive location for expatriates. Shanghai is in 18th position in the global results, and 4th in Asia. Hong Kong, in 28th place globally and 8th in Asia, is Greater China's third most expensive city.
"Although the Chinese government has allowed the Renminbi to appreciate steadily against the US dollar and food and oil prices in China have been rising, Beijing's jump up the ranking is largely due to Japanese locations becoming so much cheaper because of the weaker Yen,” said Lee Quane, Regional Director – Asia, ECA International. "Nevertheless, living costs in Chinese locations have increased in recent years, making China a more expensive location than some of its neighbours for companies looking to set up operations in the region." "Hong Kong's position – up one place in the Asian ranking and four positions globally – has remained relatively stable. As in many parts of the world, inflation here has slowed over the past year while the Hong Kong dollar has not appreciated against the major currencies to a greater extent than other currencies in the region."
Latest from iexpatriate.com
- Saudi Expatriate Fees Causes 'Panic’ And Computer Glitches
- Expatriates And Foreign Nationals Working In India May Have To Obtain Aadhaar Number By 31 July 2017
- Greater Mobility Of Expatriate Workers In The Economy Would Help Close Wage Gap Between Saudi Nationals And Expatriates
- Hong Kong Expatriate Pay And Benefits Packages Hit Five-Year Low
- Singapore Offers Some Of The Most Generous Expatriate Salary And Benefits Packages In Asia Pacific